Sunday, April 17, 2011

J03

       So many awesome patterns! I loved looking at all the different patterns my classmates were able to find. I found it most interesting when they were actual pictures taken specifically for this assignment and not just found on Google or anywhere online. I especially liked Payton's patterns which all came from somewhere outside, whether along a sidewalk or the side of a dorm building where the space between windows and blocks makes a design in itself (Payton's Patterns). These pictures up close looked like such cool patterns that I feel like I would never notice when passing by. Kudos, Payton! When I was finding my own patterns for the assignment, I relied mainly on fabrics in my closet, on my pillows, table cloths, or sheets. Yet nature has so many patterns I wish I would have taken my camera outside! David also found some amazing patterns that would never have struck me as an artistic pattern before; such as a telephone pole's wires with the blue sky as a background or the tiny hexagons in a screen door.
        As I was reading everyone's opinions on the first few lectures and videos we have experienced in class, I could not help but agree with Audra about the video we watched on Paul Rand. In my own post I mentioned how it was interesting that he wanted to change the UPS logo as time went on and styles evolved, yet I liked how Audra stated here, (Audra's take on logos), the idea that a designer's job is never really finished. What a fascinating way of thinking about it. Styles and design itself are always changing and enhancing so is the work of a designer ever actually completed? I guess everyone could have their own answer, but in Paul Rand's case we saw that he constantly wanted to tweak his famous logo. Payton's opinion on Tim Brown was intriguing as well. The big ideas from back in the day compared to the big ideas designers worry about today are extremely different. I had not picked up on this as much when watching the video in class and thought it was a great point. Both the design of trains and the Eiffel Tower are considered BIG, yet so is designing a way to help people in Africa retrieve safe drinking water. Both big design ideas, but different ways of thinking about design for the times.

No comments:

Post a Comment