Sunday, April 10, 2011

Journal 02

Finding patterns throughout the week was fun and a mix up from my usual homework assignments. By the end of the week  I was seeing patterns everywhere, even places I would have never noticed before.

 
1. This first pattern I found was actually from a painting my sister did that is hanging in my room. Every morning I wake up and look right at it, and I love the repeating lines and the colors she chose to use. I think this pattern is interesting because the lines go thick then thin, then sort of uneven and imperfect.



2.  This second pattern is a cover for my couch. I bought it from Urban Outfitters last year, and it caught my eye cause of the repeating patterns and colorful prints. It is actually a table cloth (...I think) but I wanted to use it as a couch cover instead!  The shapes and overall design just feels unique and warm at the same time.



3. My third pattern is one of my all time favorites, especially for clothing these days. I am obsessed with horizontal navy and white stripes. Although the pattern is simple, it somehow remains classic to me. I find that amazing in itself, that a simple pattern like a strip can come across as "classic". I found this pattern on my own body when I wore it to class on Tuesday!


4. This pattern is bright, cheery and sort of 3-D. This is actually one of my roommate's bath towels that I found laying in the bathroom this past week. Right when I saw it I thought of how it was such an "in your face" pattern and how odd it is that such fun and colorful patterns are even used for things as simple as a bath towel. The flowers in this pattern also reminded me that patterns can be found in nature as well, such as on leaves or on the bark of trees. This basically caught my eye because of the color use and the overlapping repetition of the shapes. 



5. I was drawn to this pattern right away. It is black and white which is simple, but in this case still very striking. The design itself is something unlike anything I've ever seen and I do not even know something I could label it as. It almost looks like what you see when you look in kaleidoscope. This pattern I found
on a dress when shopping last weekend. 


6. Paisley! I adore it. This is a pillow from my room which repeats this paisley design all over. I love the curve and feel of the leafy objects. Paisley is elegant and calming. I was drawn to this pillow at Target this past summer and planned my entire room around the soft colors of yellow, green and blue. 



7. As ugly as this pattern is, I obviously was drawn to it! This is a chair at the Student Union. When I first saw it I thought it was made up of seat belts woven together, but I think it was just similar material. Obviously these chairs were designed to have some sort of modern or hip appeal, why wouldn't Ohio State have just chosen wooden chairs then? It was functional, comfortable and a little fashionable! The checkerboard pattern was appealing and fit with the design and decor of the room I was in very nicely.



7. Plaid! This pattern is an American classic and almost a visual comfort. Although this pattern just seems cozy (probably because the material is obviously flannel) the pattern adds to its appeal as well. The consistency of the little squares and the uncomplicated nature of the thin and thick lines caught my eye. This pattern was found on my pajama shirt that I found laying with my winter stuff. 


8. This pattern actually from a tablecloth. When I was home two weeks ago I found this new tablecloth in our kitchen drawer and remember tracing the intricate design with my finger all the way around the edges. When reading this assignment, it came back to my mind and I had my mom send me a picture! That how appealing and striking it was to me the first time I saw it. It is so intricate and detailed, yet repetitive consistent .



9. This is a zoomed in picture of a sock! This sock had these little colorful zig-zags across the ankle and I thought it was adorable! It is such a sweet, mini-pattern that is not in your face or significant in anyway. I feel like zig-zags were extremely popular when I was little (the 90's) and I have not seen this pattern in a while. I think the nostalgic feel of this pattern is what drew me to it.


10. This pattern was found in a rather humorous matter. As I began to search for patterns I was sitting on my couch wondering what I could snap pictures of. Then I looked down and realized this crazy cool pattern on my couch that I never really looked at. Yes, I always knew it had some sort of old-school appearance, but these little square hatch mark type lines are so interesting! Who would ever think to put this pattern on an entire (and rather large) couch? I was drawn to the incompleteness of the lines and the way they are not straight, but almost squiggly.

No comments:

Post a Comment